Welcome to Jean Vanier Catholic School
English and Ukrainian Bilingual - Kindergarten to Grade 4
Jean Vanier Catholic School (JV) resides within the family of Elk Island Catholic Schools (EICS) and is part of Alberta's publicly-funded education system. JV is an English and Ukrainian Bilingual elementary school, providing 21st century, quality Catholic education for students in Kindergarten to Grade 4.
Through the Ukrainian bilingual program, students achieve their academic potential through an enriched program. Language arts, math and science instruction is in English. Ukrainian language arts, religion, social studies, music, art, health and physical education instruction is in Ukrainian. Students develop communication skills in English and Ukrainian, and gain appreciation and understand of Ukrainian cultural heritage in the Canadian context. The program is open to everyone; no previous Ukrainian language experience or Ukrainian background is required. For more information about our Ukrainian programs, please visit the following links:
Book Fair Success!
Thank you to EVERYONE for supporting our Book Fair. It was an overwhelming success! The students are really excited about all the new books and the multiple copies of titles (so they don’t have to wait to get their hands on the book they want). We not only purchased all those books in the picture, but every teacher was able to purchase $30 worth of books for their classrooms AND we still have credit to get even more books for the library! We couldn’t have done it without you!
Face to Face Ministries
Face to Face Ministries spent the day with us on Monday. The students had a blast! Thank-you to the REAL Foundation for bringing them out to our schools this week. Thank-you to Dan and Ryan for their energy and enthusiasm!
Kindergarten Registration opens January 16th, 2017
Welcome to Jean Vanier Catholic School Kindergarten! We look forward to sharing in your child’s faith and learning journeys at Jean Vanier. We have a team of faithful, professional, and dedicated educators ready to guide, support, and invite your child into the world of kindergarten. We look forward to having you as a part of the JV Family.
Here are some things to know before you register:
- To register, your child must be 5 years old on or before December 31, 2017.
- We are proud to offer both Ukrainian and English kindergarten programs. For the 2017-2018 school year we will be offering:
English morning kindergarten
(with the potential for an English afternoon Kindergarten, dependant on numbers)
Ukrainian afternoon kindergarten
- Registrations are now being accepted at https://eics.schoolengage.ca/#/login
- A scanned copy of your child's birth certificate and baptism certificate (if you have one), are required to complete all registrations. Registrations are NOT considered complete until we have received all supporting documentation and all sections of the online form are complete.
- Entry into a given program will be determined on a first come basis based on the number of seats available, programs offered, and the balancing of needs in each classroom. No requested program can be guaranteed other than the English or Ukrainian program.
- Please allow us time to process and approve each registration. An email confirmation will be sent from the school office once we have had a chance to approve all registrations. As this takes time, we ask for your patience and understanding.
- If your child requires transportation, please complete a transportation request form at: https://www.eics.ab.ca/transportation. Boundary maps are also available at this link. If you have any questions about transportation, you are welcome to call them at 780-449-6480.
For information about our kindergarten program, please click on the link below:
School Fees for the 2016-2017 school year are past due, and available to pay online using your Powerschool Parent Portal account. If you require assistance logging into your account, please contact the school office. To avoid the collection process, please make sure all outstanding fees are paid by March 1st, 2017.
If you have any questions about your child's school fees, please feel free to contact the school office.
Safe Arrival Attendance Information
Thank-you to our families that have already signed up for the Safe Arrival APP. To report your child's absence please call 1-877-246-9970, download the APP, or use the website listed. Login credentials were emailed to families already.
Please note that the cut off time to report absences using the Safe Arrival tools is 8:41 am, as this is the start of period 1 and all students are expected to be in class at that time.
You can still call the school office to report an absence after this time, or wait for Safe Arrival to contact you to verify your child's absence.
To access the Safe Arrival Website, please click below:
If you have any questions, please contact the school office at 780-467-3633.